DYT Update

It has been a while and I have not yet gotten around to the historical project I started, because I had too much freelance work and then school started up again. But I have also spent a lot of time really delving into Dressing Your Truth.

I have a long history with this system. It may even be the first system I came across when I began this whole process. For a long time, I kind of dismissed it as a style system that was lacking, or more of a “starter system” compared to others. But I think part of that was that I had placed myself incorrectly, so of course the style component didn’t work for me, and since I first discovered it, the team behind it has made real headway in developing new ways to use the information.

To quickly summarize my journey, when I discovered the system, I decided I was a 3/4, since I couldn’t see T4 perfection in my features, and I related a lot to both descriptions. I never liked the T3 clothes on me–too substantial, too heavy, not enough structure. I generally stuck to the colors, because they aligned well with where I had placed myself in Sci\ART, but I never wore the clothes in any real way. Over the course of the years I believed I was a 3/4, I never did a 30-day challenge, for instance.

Then out of the blue, I saw the T4 in my face. I assumed I was a 4/1, because there is a video about how 4/1s and 1/4s can mistake themselves for T3, and somehow that more convoluted explanation made more sense to me than the simple idea of having simply reversed my dominant and secondary.

But after going back recently and watching videos on their website about the yin/yang balance and energy levels of different types, and how to make your T4 style true to you by incorporating your secondary–I realized that an S1 didn’t make sense for me at all. My style instincts were clearly pointing in the direction of an S3, and so was my movement.

Since realizing I’m a 4/3, I have enjoyed shopping so much more. It feels almost full-circle in a way, because 4/3 is fairly close to how I dressed before I ever got into style systems. 4/3 means getting to wear all the things I love, and not feeling like I’m limiting or depriving myself. I still love Flamboyant Gamine, and that is still incredibly informative for the yin/yang balance of my lines. I know how to make things work on me and how to combine them. But 4/3 gives me a different kind of yin/yang balance, the yin/yang balance of how I move through life, and how to reflect that in my style.

The real conflict between the two systems is in color. Right now, I’m enjoying Type 4 colors, and I plan on focusing on them. But I will see how it feels to live in these colors for a longer period of time.

Do you do DYT? Have you tried it in the past? Have you ever mistyped yourself in a system for a long period of time?

10 Comments on DYT Update

1. Elizabeth Stewart
    March 6, 2019 at 4:37 am

I think the DYT system works for overall shape and facial features, but in quite a crude way – I find the Kibbe system much more useful. And I completely disagree with linking our colouring to our personality. It makes no sense at all. As Kibbe himself points out, Elizabeth Taylor and Ann-Margret were similar in personality type (Romantic) but completely opposite in colouring. Their figures had much in common, their faces only a little less so, and their colouring not at all. Taylor was clearly a Winter (T4) and Ann-Margret an Autumn (T3). And then there’s dear Marilyn, a Spring if I ever saw one! Maybe I’m reacting against DYT’s key word for Springs (T1), which I definitely am, as “cute”. As a T1 in shape and facial features, I think this word demeans women. It treats us like children. A mature woman with Spring colouring is not at all “cute” – a better word would have been “radiant” or “glowing”, anything but “cute”! Nobody has ever called me “cute” in my life – they wouldn’t dare! Certainly not my husband, kids, colleagues and students. And so I gave up on DYT.

March 6, 2019 at 11:07 am

The issue here is that you’re conflating energy type and season. You don’t dress for your coloring and your coloring doesn’t determine your personality. It is the other way around. I’m not a Winter. You could very well not be a T1, and it sounds like you’re not. Ann Margret I don’t think would be a T3 either. You look at facial features and movement, not season. Carol was actually draped as a Winter way back when. I like DYT partially because it *ignores* season. The basic idea is that draping/seasonal systems look at one dimension (color) and DYT considers 5 when assigning a palette. I would never drape into Winter, but hues–and black–seem to match my self better than Spring or Autumn, holistically.

2. Elizabeth Stewart
    March 7, 2019 at 6:10 am

Yes, I admit to being confused by the whole concept of DYT. The energy type I relate to most, and whose clothing styles I usually choose instinctively, is actually T2. I am a quiet, introverted person who writes poems and paints watercolours for hobbies, and in real life am a counsellor. So, I could be T2 with Spring colouring, perhaps. I also feel that 12Blueprints does a disservice to clients by describing the personalities of the different seasons, but I now wonder whether what they describe is the overall look of the colours and the personality that belongs to the colours, not the person. What do you think? I always look best in warm colours, with Spring and Autumn featuring pretty much equally in the colours that net me compliments. In shape, I’m rounded and suit Romantic styles, just as DYT Type 2 suggests. My face is a mix of upward diagonals and rounded shapes (Spring and Summer, I think). My overall colouring is light and warm, and anything dark or cool dulls me down. I find your posts really helpful and would love to know more on this – to me – difficult topic. Thank you for writing about it.

March 10, 2019 at 5:20 pm

DYT T2 isn’t rounded; it’s elongated S curves and teardrops. So there is a lot of elongation, which I don’t think exactly equates to Romantic in other systems. T1 is where you find rounded shapes. (You don’t seem like a T1, though! You don’t seem to share their way of expressing themselves and their way of thinking.) You wouldn’t be a T2 with spring coloring; you’d have spring coloring in other systems and be a T2–it’s up to you whether you’d follow it. Carol was draped Winter and she obviously doesn’t take that into consideration at all! I think you have to look at DYT on its own terms, and not try to use other systems to reverse engineer it. It is better not to think of it as warm or cool. I am in the same color space as you, at least according to Kibbe, and I have found that I enjoy wearing T4 colors because they express my energy, regardless of undertone or anything else. My suggestion would be to watch the free course.

I have no idea about 12Blueprints, since I have given up on Sci\ART altogether 🙂

• Elizabeth Stewart
        March 11, 2019 at 5:10 am

Thank you for this enlightening reply – it’s clear to me now that I have not understood the DYT energy concept at all. I’ll look up the free course and try to understand it better. As for colours, I’m now using the best of the warm colours (in terms of light and dark) from both the spring and autumn seasons, and that seems to work best. I have been draped as both spring and autumn in the past, and they both have a bunch of colours that I enjoy wearing and which get me compliments. Summer colours do nothing for me, apart from making me look ill, and winter is just too bright for my pale skin.

3. Constance
    March 11, 2019 at 5:40 pm

Just a thought, does DYT have any correlation to your DISC or temperament? I could be wrong, but it seems similar.

March 13, 2019 at 2:38 am

The personality traits would line up, but personality is the last thing you look at, because that can be affected by so many factors outside of what is inborn in you.

• Elizabeth Stewart
        March 13, 2019 at 8:27 am

I’ve just discovered that as a Myers-Briggs INFP, this correlates with DYT Type 2. I do automatically choose the Type 2 shapes when I buy clothes, so perhaps this is the right category for me. I would add the subtype of DYT T1, so that’s a Type 2/1,and this seems right. As for the “Romantic” style, this came about when I was analyzed by someone in Atlanta who had been trained by Kibbe. She said my facial features were rounded but delicate and that I have an hourglass figure, which puts me into the Romantic style type. I also like the Enneagram system, in which I’m a 4. So, all the personality traits seem to line up, but the colouring seems to be on a separate and unrelated scale. The Kibbe analysis treated colours as quite distinct and unconnected with the person’s shape and facial features. Do you think perhaps colour is a wholly different set of parameters, one that does not reflect personality but adds an extra “filter”, or “overlay”, through which each person’s energies will be seen?

4. Shawna
    May 14, 2019 at 6:16 pm

All of the systems have strengths and weaknesses but in the end they are another person’s opinion or way of seeing you and what is most helpful to me is to learn from them all and then do what pleases me. As soon as I stopped agonising about which box I should fit into and worrying that I didn’t fit properly into any I figured out what works for me and I don’t care what its name is or if I can make all the systems somehow line up in terms of what works for me. At this point I’ve been through a stage of believing myself to be just about every option and practically gone around full circle. I definitely believe that what works for a person has some kind of connection to their energy, personality, body lines and colouring, but I’m not convinced that one particular ‘expert’ is the only one who can identify it. You seem to be really enjoying your DYT exploration at this point and that’s the more important thing.

• Shawna
      May 14, 2019 at 6:28 pm

Oops I put the above comment in the wrong post but I guess it will do here. Will add that like you, I ruled out T4 because I couldn’t reconcile myself with all that stunning perfection but I’ve no doubt now I am a T4. Not sure of the secondary as all seem possible but I’m leaning towards 1. When I tried out T3 it felt so heavy and overdone, 2 felt drab and 1 as a dominant made me cranky.