Why Did I Return to DYT?

Of course, the last post on this blog before my unintentional hiatus was Why I Stopped Dressing My Truth, Part 2. And of course I stopped, because what I thought was my Truth was not my truth–the post before that was perfectly 4/1 and I was talking about disobeying my recommendations.

So I left DYT because I was tired of trying to fit myself into Type 3, where the jewelry was too big and the clothes were too textured and heavy. I think some people do find that DYT just does not work for them, but in my case, it wasn’t working because I had placed myself incorrectly within the system. Once I realized that, though, it was like getting everything back that I loved after years of thinking that I just wasn’t bright enough to handle black and white and pure colors.

This began to change a little when I realized that all of David Kibbe’s palettes go pretty bright. He doesn’t seem to be much of a fan of things in the Soft range. Accepting David’s view of color, I gave myself permission to go brighter, especially as even DYT T3 seemed to be moving in a more vivid direction.

I pretty much rejected T3 style but kept the T3 colors, thinking of it as a four-season Autumn. But once I realized I was 4/1, it was basically just giving a name to what I was doing already, and giving myself permission to add black and white to my wardrobe, as well as some colors like non-peacock blue.

I don’t think that I would get black from David–only Winters get black in his world, and his Winters are very cool and high contrast. But I’m still enjoying allowing myself to express myself using the T4 palette, and I find that keeping 4/1 helps me get my FG yin/yang balance correct. Like many Gamines, I have a tendency to go entirely to the yang side, and T1 reminds me to add back in more yin.

Besides Kibbe, the only stylist I’d want to go see is David Zyla, but that is forever a puzzle to me. For now, using 4/1 to inform my FG expression feels right to me.

How have you found working with DYT, if you use it? Does it work with your other style system discoveries?

7 Comments on Why Did I Return to DYT?

1. Shawna
    October 30, 2018 at 5:32 pm

I think at this point everything I have learned about what works best for me is relatively cohesive and I can find compatibility but only if I break rules. I wouldn’t be happy dressing as someone else’s vision for me anyhow and I don’t believe any style guru has all the answers so I take what I can learn and create my own style. I don’t use DYT as it is intended because I don’t follow the colour palette. I just can’t buy into the idea that either wearing colour that is in harmony with your own is irrelevant or that all people whose facial features belong in a certain category will also have the same colouring. I can’t do Kibbe literally either but I have learned quite a bit from reading his ideas. Zyla’s system is too esoteric for me and I also can’t figure out Fantastical Beauty. I think DYT is too simplified but in some ways that makes it easier to use as a springboard.

2. Bla31ze
    October 31, 2018 at 11:48 am

I have become interested in Dressing Your Truth again after reading your last post. For me it is not easy to type myself, but I think there are good possibilities that I am a 1/4.
    Lately I have been thinking that I may actually be a SG in Kibbe’s system, despite what I have written in other comments, and I am pretty sure I will not go back from there easily. It seems that I can make SG and 1/4 work together.
    My next challenge will be finding a place for my soft autumn deep colouring within all this. I suppose I’ll have to break some rules, but I will try to have fun while doing it. Sometimes I think that in most cases perfect coherence may just be not possible 🙂

October 31, 2018 at 3:44 pm

Sometimes you just have to choose, especially with color.

3. Myrna K Pouyatt
    November 2, 2018 at 4:47 pm

Wow, your blog really spoke to me. I was trying to fit myself into the DYT thing and tried every type until I took it back to movement. I am a 4/1. I am not animated enough to be a dominant type 1, I sit positively still with correct posture, always have. I am a flamboyant gamine and a Clear Spring with a Winter inter-season according to Irene Riter’s textbook. I finally see myself, yay! I think 4/1 is a hard energy combination, it’s so bipolar, and I am not bipolar. I am constant. Thanks for sharing your insights.

November 13, 2018 at 2:56 am

The movement threw me off, actually, because I am more clumsy than graceful and I don’t have perfect posture. But I am definitely lower movement and not a T2 😛

November 13, 2018 at 2:48 am

I’m familiar with PSC, but I don’t like it, hence why I don’t talk about it here 🙂 I don’t like the idea of percentages of essences (I much prefer Kibbe’s more unified approach to image) and I find his palettes to be all over the place.